Why do tourists flock to galleries and museums when they visit a new place? A reason being these are where you can get a taste of the culture, history, and society of any place. So, museums and art galleries are from being places where only the elderly visit. You will find millions of students and youngsters having a keen interest in exploring galleries and museums. Here’s why:
- To begin with, both museums and art galleries can offer you a wonderful insight into mankind’s history. While you may not get an entire picture on your visit to a museum, you can learn a lot from the creations, discoveries, events, and tragedies of the past. These are lessons that only the past can teach us and they can be of immense value if you consider the growing tensions and animosities between political parties and religious communities. They help you re-affirm your faith in unity and build bridges instead of creating divisions.
- Museums have an undeniable power to establish unity socially, politically, and even locally; local museums can offer a feeling of community because they uphold a collective heritage. For instance, The Hove Museum and Art Gallery at Hove, Brighton, is filled with many local historical treasures, such as structures, paintings, and rocking horses from different periods in history. While digitalization and technology may have taken over almost every institution, these continue to hold their own, bringing together communities and people. Whether it is by organizing lectures or workshops, museums can establish interactions with youngsters, school students, and communities.
- Museums and galleries help to educate future generations. Whether it is organizing exhibitions targeting kids or educating kids in classrooms, these institutions are doing what they can to pass knowledge. For instance, almost 80% US museums offer educational programs for school-going kids.
- Finally, museums offer exhibitions for kids like the Tate in London that has a dedicated site for promoting art for kids. Children can watch art videos and play quizzes.
- Just like museums art galleries have a rather special role to play in society. These are places which let you view different works of art. In this sense, art galleries offer a window to one’s past because they showcase history through images. So, a piece of art can give you information about those living during a specific time-period; it can also tell you about the politics and social climate of this time.
- Art galleries are needed to promote artists and art; whether these are new artists or established ones, these institutions acknowledge their talents and help to showcase them before others. Attendees can learn about the different types of art. Many viewers can even be inspired to endorse a certain cause or perspective through art displayed at galleries, and motivated to create their own.
- Art galleries can give a boost to tourism in any country because tourists are often attracted to art and include a visit to galleries in their itinerary.
- Last but not the least, just like museums, art galleries are excellent sources of learning for the youth, adults, and students. We can always read about the art during a certain period in history through books, but seeing these in person makes a world of difference. Watching works of photography or art in galleries often inspires people to attempt such works themselves.